This article explains how to customize context definitions by adding targeting criteria to variable groups in the Manager.
In the Web Editor, a context can be defined by URL path matching criteria. However, sometime additional criteria is necessary to ensure variants appear at the right time and place.
In this case, you can add additional targeting criteria to the context (variable group) in the Manager.
Adding additional targeting criteria to contexts
- Open the Manager.
- Navigate to the project in the Manager
- Once in the Project's draft tab, navigate to the Variants page in the left navigation column and select the Variable Group you'd like to add new criteria to:
- In the Variable Group panel, under Targeting Criteria, note the default web.url target criteria. To add a new filter, click the + icon as shown in the screenshot below:
- The filter choices are Default attributes, Custom attributes or previously defined audience filters as defined in the Audience section of the Manager.
- Default attributes are a collection of pre-defined filters such as device type, platform, geolocation and browser. See Creating Audiences in the Manager
- Custom attributes are freeform keys and values, set in the environment configuration and based on runtime variables available to the Asset Manager from the target website via the client device. See How to Build Custom Audiences.
- Once you have finished building your audience filter in the Targeting Criteria section, click Save. Once you deploy your project, your audience filter will apply to the context you specified.
Note: unlike the project Audience filter, you can modify your context and variable Targeting Criteria without triggering a restart.