This article describes how to create a variant that allows you to test an alternate URL for a given page.
Table of Contents
Why use a redirect?
A redirect is when you send someone to an alternative page for a different experience. The Evolv AI Web Editor has a unique type of variant that supports a redirect to make it easy to implement URL split tests into your optimization.
URL split tests are standard when it comes to website optimization. They're used when you want to test sending a portion of traffic to a different page to see how it affects the user experience.
Traditional AB testing tools let you run a split test on its own, where you define a landing page, and various redirect URLs as variants. But what if a redirect is only part of what you want to test?
Evolv AI lets you continue running all your ideas simultaneously, including redirects.
Creating a redirect variant
- Open your project or create a new project in the Web Editor.
- Hover the mouse over the variable where you want to add the redirect variant.
- Create a new variable if you don't have one already.
- Click the plus icon and select Add Redirect Variant.
- You can rename the variant if you choose to.
- The URL Redirect panel will open to the right of the Web Editor.
- Enter the target URL into the field provided.
- You can enter the full URL or a pathname like "/new-page".
- The pathname is relative to the root domain.
- Press the play icon to run the redirect.